Tuesday, December 16, 2008

2008 in Review

2008 is almost over (finally), and I'm in my room reflecting on how productive and counterproductive it's been. The year started with the release of my surprisingly highly anticipated, yet slept-on mixtape "The Great American Paper Chase". I had just turned 20 and wasted about $25 on pizza and drinks for a party that only 7 people attended (props to Rare Breed & Soundmind). I traveled and met my brotha of anotha motha Terrence and shortly after, I went beast mode with my studies, signed to SESAC with mad networking and redeemed my grades. I also wrapped up my 2nd year in college in a position of power as the program director of WMTS 88.3. Sounds good right? Well, Me and my girl of 2 years split due to undisclosed reasons (my maturity wasn't there yet and the night ended with me chasing a cat with a pellet gun). We tried to work it out and failed. I was finally able to land a decent paying job for the summer, and the cops had a field day on me (over the summer, I racked up 2 speeding tickets, costing me a total of $320). aside from not having my girl, I was also depressed by the lackluster attention/feedback I was getting on my music, which led me to temporarily quit to do some soul searching. The soul searching was basically me meditating and getting hit on by random females throughout Tennessee that I could care less about. I did a few shows over the summer and developed a buzz thanks to Panda. I wrapped the summer up with a fateful trip that led to me meeting a very special woman whom people are saying I've fallen for. When school started, the power, pressure and stress finally set in. I finally got a car (which I spent most of the time transporting my cousin to/from her job than myself), and I helped start another organization at school: WORD UP!
My rep as an artist/poet/public speaker got bigger, and the girls swarmed in, though I was still depressed. The sadness faded away as the lady in my life got closer, and I met a few more people who became my sidekicks/partners in rhyme (Ray, Pana and some others). I saw my first real concert (The Cool Kids), and I performed alot, well enough to build a local buzz, but all in all, the year has finally ended the same way it began: I'm back at square one. The only difference is that it seems like I lost almost everything I worked to achieve this year. I lost my car, I got my first F, and I lost one of my best friends. This kinda strife has also made me consider stepping down from my positions as director and treasurer. 2008 was an ok year where I made some big moves, but it ended in crash & burn. 2009 will hopefully be the year I make power moves. I can happily say that this year, I've finally considered myself a real man (ask me about my philosophy on that if you're confused) and I've come a long way. Next year, I'll only resolve to become better than I was this year, to have a more productive year (but not flawless, because a life without flaws isn't life. It's a movie) and to maybe become well known throughout North America. Merry Christmas to all and happy 2009.

No comments: