Monday, June 1, 2009

Music City Blues

I hope I don't offend anyone... On second thought, I don't care if I do. I got some things to get off my chest that I've been thinking about for a long time. I'm constantly confronted with the question as to why Nashville's never on the Hip-Hop map. As Nashville's Native Son, I figured it's only right to address the so-called city of music. This is coming from the perspective of an aspiring artist, college student, and observant resident.

First of all, this one's to the artists... GET OFF YOUR OWN DICKS!!!!!
Now Classic Williams calls himself the Jesus of Nashville, Black Noize is 615's king and I call myself the Music City Messiah... What sets us apart is that we're all trying to build up Nashville as a city completely and not just ourselves. I understand that if you don't believe in yourself nobody will, but if we really wanna make it as a city, we gotta work together and acknowledge the people behind the scenes and the fans. I understand that we all live busy lives and we have needs that we can't handle on our own (art, promotion, etc.) but we gotta show everybody respect, and not let our egos get the best of us, no matter how high up there we are. I was gonna say names, but some know who they are. I know not all of you are like this, but the ones that are are the reason why people don't wanna work with us. Understand that it's not always (actually, it's never) all about you so listen to everyone who approaches you. You may learn something.

In Nashville, everyone's either a rapper, singer, songwriter, producer, musician, or all of the above. The problem with that is... Alot of them suck. This is where I get at the artists, and the gatekeepers. I'm the type of artist where I'll work with anyone who's talented, loves music, and is willing to work with me. There's alot of artists that are just as talented and they're willing to work with me... for a price. This is a problem not just in Nashville, but probably worldwide. people are only willing to work with you if you have something to offer. I've also noticed a rising trend of garbage rappers getting on songs and tapes with skilled, acclaimed artists and DJs. Ron Artest got a Gangsta Grillz mixtape... smh. Now I'm not saying don't work with someone who sucks, but don't take their money and do something with them, knowing they're garbage. That just sets them up for failure (Except Lil' Goonie. That track set him up for a record deal).

As a broke college student, I've seen the worst come out of people due to money. All I can say is that we're in a recession and this is the only business where people are still raising prices and not cutting deals to work with the artists. I know that we all gotta make our money, and I won't knock that at all, but the job market is too competitive to the point where you gotta know someone just to get a job at McDonalds. Screw the backhanded deals and I.O.Us, but something's gotta give, especially when we all know the artists are the last to get paid.

This next one's for Music Row. First of all, I'm shocked because I'm am one of the few, if not only, Nashville natives on Music Row. Almost everyone out here is from a different state. Another thing that's killing Nashville Hip-Hop is the stereotype. one side is that Nashville is nothing but country. I admit our country music roots are deep, but that's not the only thing we're known for. I told an MC from NY that I was an artist (not rapper, but artist) from Nashville and the first thing she asked me was "Are you a country singer?" Now I was ten seconds away from e-slappin' her for that, but that's the image that was put on us. Music Row needs to reach out to its urban environment because we are terribly underrepresented. Our urban environment also needs to stop acting like ignorant niggas, because that just makes us look bad. It's sad that Colton Entertainment LLC is the only company on Music Row that is willing to work with urban artists on a major scale.


To the listeners and fans, stop hating on artists and listen to them. I know alot of them suck, but you can relate to alot of them. People in Nashville have a tendency to only pay attention to big names. You're garbage if they haven't heard of you. What makes it more difficult is the fact that we only have two urban radio stations and only one of them plays Hip-Hop and appeals to the younger audience... and that radio station is owned by Clear Channel.

Nashville is notorious for its crab mentality. Nobody wants to work together. There's alot of hate in the city. There are too many cliques that call themselves movements, and they stand for nothing. It's really disturbing.

So this is what I'm suggesting: First, we stop hatin' and start working together. Also, we stop bragging about how great we are and listen to each other. Third, we come together (all our cliques or whatever, artists, businesses, etc.) and take on Music Row as well as the streets. We also need to stop jocking Atlanta. That's just irritating.

I'll do my part as well. I'm willing to work with any artist who's talented and wants to help build up the city as a whole to put it on the map and expand our Hip-Hop scene. All I ask for in return is studio time :-P

We complain alot about the problems in Nashville, but I don't see too much action. The action I do see is too spread apart. We also gotta inform each other about some things. Becky the Great mentioned the first annual Tenn Hip-Hop awards and how few Cashville artists showed up. Honestly, I didn't even know about it. I saw nothing in the press or anything. This city's got to do better if we really wanna call ourselves "The Music City".

Before I finish, I wanna give love and shouts to these guys. They're on their way and have (or would have) held me down without asking for much, if anything.

There's alot more, some fans, some artists, some just do everything, but it's all love for these guys.

One more thing: stop shootin' shit up. How are we supposed to better ourselves if every party/club/open mic we go to gets shot up? That's why Forbes made us the #9 most dangerous city in USA.

I'm done ranting. Peace.
MTK

2 comments:

zillz said...

yo that's real man.

it's the same in VA. I think a lot of times it comes down to ppl being afraid to play a role and alot of ppl want to be the head of voltron. There has to be an understanding and everybody has to be on the same page. Perhaps when there's a nice core of individuals who do their thing, others can see the example and follow suit.

Mac tha Knife said...

That sounds about right. Nashville is not only infamous for it's crab mentality, but also for its tendency to be a follower proclaiming itself as a leader. People fail to understand that with the right people, if one (or some) people win, everyone wins.